Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to contributing to the environmental sustainability of the planet. Below you will see some initiatives the hospital has taken to become a greener organization.
Some of the major environmental initiatives MSH have completed include:
- The instituting of a greening committee
- Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) reduction in HVAC equipment & elimination of Halons
- Implement and manage in-house carpooling program
- Partnership with Markham District Energy (MDE)
- Draft of environmental and sustainability policy
- LEED silver certification process successfully completed for recently built Building B
- Annual Greening and Sustainability Expo
- Greening tip segment added to corporate bimonthly newsletter
- MSH Bike to Work Day
- Reduction of kitchen waste by 33%
- Extending paperless initiative to using electronic tablets for patient meal ordering instead of paper menus
- Increased battery recycling program
- Installation of variable speed drives to HVAC units in Building A
- Replacement of light fixtures with energy efficient LED units
- Reuse of furniture under refinishing/upholstering process – furniture materials being free of PVC
- Installation of energy efficient cart and instrument washer Replacement of morgue cooler unit with energy efficient model
- Energy saving white roofing system
- Rubber flooring that is entirely free of PVC, plasticizers and heavy metals
- Leaders in eliminating all cardboard in the operating room, outpatient procedure suite, sterile processing and distribution as medical supplies are received and delivered in reusable totes
- Exterior lighting designed to minimize light pollution onto neighbouring properties and reduce impact on the night sky.
- Low-flow fixtures to achieve a water use reduction of 40 per cent.
- Building envelope designed to increase thermal resistance.
These initiatives have heightened the level of staff engagement, awareness and action. Community partners too can see clearly that we lead by example as we provide excellent patient care in a manner that also cares for our earth.
- Patients & Visitors
- Areas of Care
- Careers & Volunteers
- Our Foundations
- About Us
- Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
- Board of Directors
- Senior Leadership Team
- Mission and Beliefs
- Our History
- Strategic and Innovative Initiatives
- Medical Chiefs
- Upcoming Events
- People You Might Meet