Adult Outpatient Services
Care We Provide
The Adult Outpatient Mental Health Services at Markham Stouffville Hospital is a full-service clinic. We provide the following services to patients in our community addressing a variety of mental health issues.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Group for Depression and Anxiety: CBT is an empirically validated treatment for depression and anxiety. This group is 10 weeks. In this group, patients learn to 1) identify and understand their feelings, 2) identify problematic thoughts and 3) change emotion driven behaviours. The emphasis is in changing problematic thinking and behaviours. Monthly booster sessions are also offered at the end of the groups.
- Coping with Emotions Therapy Group: This is an 11 week group, in which patients learn mindfulness skills, identifying emotions and various strategies for coping with overwhelming emotions. Monthly booster sessions are also offered at the end of the groups.
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) for Depression: This is a 20 week group, geared towards people experiencing depression and interpersonal difficulties in one or more of the following areas: grief/loss, interpersonal role disputes, role/life transitions and interpersonal challenges/difficulties.
These groups are scheduled to run approximately three times per year (i.e., fall, winter, and spring), depending on staff availability and demand. All referred patients will be called and screened for suitability for these groups.
Time limited individual therapy is available for clients who do not meet criteria for groups. This is short-term and goal focused.
Schizophrenia Medication and Wellness Clinic
- Treatment and support for individuals living with schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders who are on Clozapine or long acting depot injection.
- Services include individual medication treatment and follow-up, as well as group healthy lifestyle program.
- Referrals to the clinic must be made by a psychiatrist on staff at Markham Stouffville Hospital.
We are dedicated to delivering evidence based therapy and innovative services! We evaluate our groups and modify them according to client feedback and empirical evidence.
Referral to Adult Outpatient Mental Health Services
A physician referral is needed in order to process the request and be considered for MSH Mental Health services. All referrals will have an intake assessment by a therapist. For general inquiry please phone 905-472-7011.
You can obtain a copy of the referral from the MSH website:
Click on “Referral Forms” under “Quick Links” on the right hand side
Scroll down to Mental Health
Click on Outpatient Mental Health.
Or Click here for the Outpatient Mental Health Referral Form.
Our outpatient mental health team consists of psychiatrists, social workers, a clinical nurse, and a psychologist. The team is trained to help you or your family cope with, and recover from mental illness. The team is trained in empirically validated treatments and collaborates with the client and their family on treatment goals.
Student placements and internship
We offer student placements for social work and psychology students.
Social worker student placements are available for individuals with work experience in the field of mental health and addiction. Please contact your university to see if they have an agreement with Markham Stouffville Hospital. If you would like any further information please email Teresa Wong, MSW, RSW, at email@example.com.
Practicum: Fall/winter and summer placements are available for psychology practicum students. Applications should contain a current CV, cover letter, unofficial undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts and 2 letters of reference preferably from a clinical setting. You may include examples of assessment reports you have completed with identifying information removed. Please check with your university for application deadlines. Click here for the MSH Psychology Practicum Brochure.
Pre-doctoral Internship: Funding is available one pre-doctoral internship position, subject to yearly budget review. Applications should contain the MSH application form, a current curriculum vitae, three letters of reference preferably from clinical settings, a cover letter outlining your training goals and needs and how they fit within the services offered at MSH, unofficial undergraduate and official graduate academic transcripts, and one example of an assessment report you have written with identifying information removed is also required. Click here for the MSH Psychology Predoctoral internship Brochure.
- Patients & Visitors
- Areas of Care
- Careers & Volunteers
- Our Foundations
- About Us
Areas of Care
- Cancer Care (Oncology)
- Childbirth and Children's Services
- Complex Continuing Care
- Critical Care
- Diagnostic Services
- Emergency Department
- Mental Health
- Outpatient Clinics
- Palliative Care
- Spiritual and Religious Care
- Uxbridge Site Allergy Clinic