Collection of Personal Health Information
Personal Health Information Protection Act
Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) came into effect on November 1, 2004. This Act establishes legal requirements for the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information. This page is intended to provide you with information about MSH's compliance with PHIPA.
Collection of personal health information
We collect personal health information about you in order to provide you with health care or assist in the provision of healthcare to you by other healthcare providers. We may collect this information either from you directly or, in some circumstances, from a person designated to make care decisions on your behalf. The information that we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, health history, and other records of your visits and the care that you received either at MSH or from other healthcare providers.
Permitted uses and disclosures of personal health information
In accordance with PHIPA, we may use and disclose your personal health information:
- To treat and care for you.
- To receive payment for your treatment and care (e.g. from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer, or others payors).
- To conduct risk management activities.
- To conduct quality improvement activities
- For teaching purposes.
- To conduct research.
- To compile statistics.
- For fundraising purposes to improve our programs and services.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- To fulfill other purposes as permitted or required by law.
It's your choice
Where your consent is required for any collection, use or disclosure of your personal health information, you may withdraw or withhold consent by contacting MSH's Privacy Office.
Our pledge to protect your personal health information
- We will take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss or unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure or disposal.
- We will take steps to ensure that anyone who performs services on MSH's behalf respects your privacy rights and only uses or discloses your personal health information for permitted purposes.
- We will promptly investigate all complaints regarding our compliance with PHIPA. All privacy complaints will be treated in a confidential manner.
Privacy of personal health information
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to its patients regarding the privacy of personal health information. For more information please refer to the Markham Stouffville Hospital Privacy Principles & Practices or the patient brochure.
Corrections to Your Record
If you believe your record of personal health information is not as accurate or complete as necessary, please submit a completed Request for Correction to Personal Health Information form to the Release of Information Department at Markham Stouffville Hospital. We have 30 days to respond.
- Patients & Visitors
- Areas of Care
- Careers & Volunteers
- Our Foundations
- About Us
Patients & Visitors
- Emergency Wait Times
- Patient Experience Participants (PEP)
- Health Information
- Patient Resources
- Make an Appointment
- Office of Access and Privacy
- Pay Bills
- Physician Directory
- Telemedicine at MSH
- Uninsured Services
- Visiting the Hospital
- Your Role in Safety